Friday, January 17, 2003

Peace, Love and JLo
This is starting to turn into an obsession. Wherever I turn, there's JLo. Now, I've ranted before how overexposed I consider her to be, but today I did have to laugh. I went to the dentist's for that tooth whitening study, and in the grand tradition of dentist's offices, there were People magazines to read while one waited, and they were out of date. The one I picked up was dated May, 2002 and contained a rather lengthy article about how happy she was being married to Chris Judd. There was also an interesting picture of her with "friend" Ben Affleck.

Why do I know so much about this woman? I cannot say that I actually care, she's just so omnipresent that I feel I know the details of her life through osmosis. I'm not a fan. I've never seen one of her movies, I have never bought one of her CDs. The only song I can hear and know is hers is the one with the line about how despite the fact that she's richer than Croseus she's still "Jenny from the block." And yet, it is easier to find out news about her than it is to find out news about the forthcoming war in Iraq.

More than ever, it looks like we're going to war again. There is an anti-war demonstration in Washington DC on Saturday. I wish I could attend more than I can say, but I just cannot afford the bus fare down there. If anyone who reads this can attend, please attend. Your presence does make a difference. If, like myself, you cannot, spend time on Saturday doing what you can to stop needless slaughter for Bush's oil interests. I will be writing my congressmen and the President. Maybe you would like to do the same. My nephew is already in the Gulf with the Navy, and I have a friend in the Royal Navy sailing out. They are following orders, but this is not a just cause for them to risk their lives.

Anyway, changing back to more benign blog topics, as I said, I went to the dentist today. And now I am wrestling with the difficulties of an "all-white" diet. Having been cleaned and whitened slightly, for 24 hours I can only eat white foods. It doesn't matter what foods they are, so long as they are white. Turns out, white foods are bland. I mean, I have Cream of Wheat and Milk for breakfast in the mornings quite often, but with raspberries (no!) and brown sugar (thank you for playing, but again no.) If it wasn't for vanilla ice cream, I would be a highly unhappy bunny! Cauliflour, the aforementioned v.i.c., cream of wheat. Meals of dental champions!

Of course the challenge of cooking an all white meal is just taking my mind off the fact that I appear to have been called for an interview. Either that, or they are calling to tell me to stop sending in my resume to them every ten minutes before they take out a restraining order against me. Of course, the temptation is just too much. I am playing telephone tag with the woman from HR, who in a thoroughly professional manner is returning my calls, but not providing the confirming details that there is an interview on offer. Fingers crossed. It would be a job just up my alley, at a *very* cool place to work. So I'm off to research it.
Love as ever,
Anne

No comments: