Friday, January 24, 2003

The Joys of Modern Pharmacology
As some of you know, and some of you don't, the last couple of months have involved some rather severe medical problems, which have been remedied to an astounding degree by the administration of some medications, and the attention of a rather excellent doctor. This has freed me up to start to enjoy all kinds of things. Things that I used to enjoy. For example, today's bitchin do. I have always loved getting my hair cut. There is something about turning yourselves over to someone else's attentions and then looking up from your cup of tea and hey! Whoa! Presto! Don't you look great! This experience to me is only enhanced by the fact that my hairdresser has those chairs that massage you while you're getting your hair washed. The experience is apparently rivaled only by appearing in one of those commercials where the women get all orgasmic while washing their hair. Herbal Essences, or whatever it is. That's not the point. The point is that I can now actually enjoy this sort of thing again.

Even more amazingly, I can now do things that previously caused levels of anxiety that were astounding to behold. Such as go to the dentist. I did it today. Went in for my check up post whitening (the whole study thing), and let them do all kinds of things to my mouth, stick probes into my gums which were frankly a bit uncomfortable, and all I did when that happened was just breathe in deeply the way I do in rowing when I need to focus on relaxation. When I went to the dentist in the spring, it took so much to get me there that when I got back, the bets were on that I actually hadn't turned up to the dentist. In fact, today my very nice Brasilian dentist commented on what a good patient I was. And then we swapped information on where to get the best Brasilian food and supplies in town. Maracuja juice! Well, swapped is probably not the right word as it implies that I actually had information to impart, which I did not. But I was an eager receptacle!

Today was one of those running around types of days. Doctor's at 8, dentist's at 1:30, bitchin hairdo at 3:30, class at 4. Which served to detract from that job not calling me back yet with the yeah or neah on a second interview. Ring, phone, ring! I do feel anxious about that, but hopefully at a normal level.

My life is ruled by the voice mail light on my phone.
Love,
Anne

No comments: