Sunday, January 26, 2003

The Joys of Saturday
Ah, Saturday. The day when things get done in that "pootling round the house" sort of way. And I did things today. Not great, epic things like rebuilding a carbeurator (but I've always wanted to learn how to do that. First, though I suspect I would need to learn where a carbeurator is in the car.) but a bit of this, a bit of that. Some knitting. I made chocolate raspberry truffles to take to brunch tomorrow. I took a nap with the kitty on my chest. This last because I'm feeling a bit under the weather, and sadly had to cancel my appointment to go coach this afternoon. I had been looking forward to that, actually - the friend I am coaching has already dropped four seconds off her 2k time just via some e-mail help.

And then, in the spirit of relaxation and puttering, I finally re-made contact with my ex-boyfriend. It was awkward, to say the least. Hardly suprising, really. I think would have been far more suprised, and not a little fearful, had he just been "hey, this is great, let's go out sometime." But I think it was worth it. I hope it was worth it! I wasn't trying to re-create the old - not only would that be a futile exercise, it isn't really a place I want to go. Not that it was all bad. Quite the opposite. But I wasn't myself then, and that wasn't a relationship I particularly want to recreate. It makes for an interesting dynamic - I know him as a patient, kind individual, and he doesn't know me at all, apart from a 20 minute glimpse into my personality at the Head of the Charles. And of course, he's been burned. But for all the awkwardness and resistence, I do feel it was worth it. The first step is made. Let it settle for a while, and then see where the road goes from here. Who knows? Certainly not me. But to quote none other than Jacques Cousteau, "If I knew what I was going to find, why would I go?"

And then of course I had some lunch and grabbed the news. The joy of my new medication regieme is not that it makes me happy all the time, it is that it finally gives me a full range of emotions other than option 1) anger and option 2) fear, which is what happens when there is just so much adrenaline in the system for so long! Unfortunately, this means I can also get sad about things, and increasingly I get sad about the news. It is just as though no one cares! It is sad enough that I want to stop watching the news, but then I think that if I give up, why should anyone else stick with it? I just wish I was better tied into the peace activist network. I either always find out about local demonstrations at the last minute, or when it makes the news. But the ones on the news do not seem so well attended. There is strength in numbers, and I wish to be one of those numbers. I think there are more like me, more than Bush realizes. If anyone out there knows how to get hooked into the network, please leave a message here on the comment section. I'm usually very good at web research, but this is proving elusive.

Off to do more putter.
Love,
Anne

No comments: