Friday, January 10, 2003

The English Legal System
Apparently, I am trapped in a bizarre sort of world, not unlike the movie Groundhog's Day, wherein I am doomed to repeat things until I get them done right. There is, of course, the fact that I have returned yet again to legal education. But that really isn't enough. I discovered in last night's class that I will be graded entirely on the basis of a one hour presentation and leading of discussion. This is without question playing to my strengths, and the professor announced on a few occasions in the course of the hour that he is an easy grader, so I would appear to be on to a winner. But just to add that real sense of destiny about it, I will be working with the only student I still know at school - a rowing coach I used to work with. This, however, really just isn't enough for it all. My topic is "The English Legal System." Given my law degree from the University of Nottingham, and the odd bout of solicitor's finals, I think I'll do just fine.

The level of hilarity of all this has at the very least taken my mind off the layoffs at Testa (see yesterday's post), where 10 people I know (from the tally I have so far) are now jobless. Testa has wasted no time getting them off the website, although there is no announcement of the layoffs in their "current news" section. They've gone surgical on this, which is interesting in that I know another person who left there (voluntarily!) who is still on the website. They're covering their tracks, as far as I can see, which mystifies me a little bit seeing as a detailed article about it was headlining the business section of yesterday's Boston Globe. Maybe they're just trying to forget the fact that despite cutting incoming salaries, freezing other salaries, and other cuts (which in their defense I should also point out are now so common amongst the larger Boston law firms as to be standard) wasn't enough to hold off setting free newly minted first years after just four months of work.

I know some people out there won't cry over people earning $120K a year, but the fact is there's nothing for these people to go to on any pay level. The job market for first years is dead. RIP, job market. I feel very badly for them, but equally good that I'm back in school already. Like water, life tends to ebb and flow and somehow wind up where it should. These are smart people, they will survive.

I felt like dressing smart today, so I am wearing a skirt despite the freezing weather. Tights and everything. An outfit which promptly had one of my co-workers ask if I had a date. I am having drinks tonight with two friends, both male, but both married, so I don't think it qualifies as a date. But obviously I need to start dressing a little smarter a little more often.

That's it for today. Still reeling from it all.
love,
Anne





No comments: