Saturday, January 18, 2003

Extra Servings of Peace and Love. (Minimal JLo.)
Well, at this very moment in time demonstrators who share my opposition to the forthcoming war in Iraq are showing the strength of their numbers in Washington DC, as part of a coordinated movement of such demonstrations around the globe, starting with the day's dawn in New Zealand. I wish terribly that I was there in DC. I did find out this morning that there was a vigil in Cambridge, but I sadly found out too late. If I have one complaint of the anti-war movement in Boston is that it not particularly good at getting the word out. Which chagrins me that the not wanting to be silent minority (majority? I hope.) is losing the chance to make their collective voice heard. As I said before, I am spending time to write to my congressmen and the President. But somehow it doesn't feel quite enough. Protestors demonstrating peacefully for peace. I love it. I am rather embarrassed though at the relative lack of press coverage it is receiving. I was so impressed when I spoke with a Dutch friend earlier in the week and she knew that demonstrations were taking place in DC today. The rest of the American public doesn't seem to know. And there are bits on the news today, but they are very trivial. For example, you can find it on Boston.com, but you've got to look for it. (At last glance, it was under the story of how Theo (my true lurve) Epstein is maybe in possible negotiations to consider getting someone for first base.) CNN.com is giving it some prominence, but once again the brits at the BBC are up front, in your face, and the whole nine yards. Go Auntie Beeb!

Now being off the all white diet, I appear to be eating nothing but rubbish to deal with the stress of my job interview. As it turned out, they were offering me an interview. The next day. At three in the afternoon. And then, after I spoke with them, at 2:30 in the afternoon. There was much frantic pressing and primping going on round here yesterday morning. As ever with interviews, I can't get a real bead on whether it went well or not. They did, however, manage to completely sell me on the job. It is in a dream place, in contact with exciting people developing cool technology. The tension of finding out if I made to the second interview is likely to give me an utter breakdown. In the best possible way.

It continues to be utterly frightfully freezing outside. This is the predominant story of the news at the moment, more so than even the war, and certainly more than the anti-war movement. So it is a good day to stay inside and do laundry. Whcih is good, as I have been neglecting this of late, and it is time to re-stock the clean nicker drawer. It is also a good day to stay inside and cook, but for me to do a really good job of that, I would have to go *outside* and go food shopping. So instead I am staying inside and doing homework, and researching in hope of that second interview. The problem with all this is that I only feel semi productive. Blech.

So now it is time to go be productive. And write my Congressmen! NO WAR IN IRAQ! NO BLOOD FOR OIL!
Love,
Anne

No comments: