Tuesday, January 14, 2003

Inspiration
It is jolly cold outside. Even the Weather Pixie is bundled up beyond recognition. I should have looked at her when I spoke to my English friends this morning, so that I could give them the correct temperature in Centigrade. Cold weather always sounds particularly dramatic in Centigrade. Today's predicted high of 18F is a serious negative something in Centigrade, which sounds so much more appropriate when your nose feels like it will break off from being so frozen.

Of course, I woke up this morning to the ominous warnings of how the United States is ramping up for our war for oil. The press isn't even bothering to sugar coat it any more, speaking of the war as though it is a done deal. Sadly, I feel that it may indeed *be* a done deal, but at least they could pay lip service to the fact that an official decision has not yet been declared to the American public, no matter what has been bargained for behind closed Washington doors. As a contrast with the Korea situation, part of the same declared "Axis of Evil" (which to me is just another Bush-ism - an axis involving a straight line which does not apply here), actively threatening to drop nuclear bombs, kicking out the UN inspectors, and we're doing nothing.

On behalf of myself and my friends, I'd like to offically declare that all Americans do *not* support war in Iraq.

But still I was inspired today. If into every day a little rain must fall, shoudl it also not be part of the axiom that into every day a little sun should shine? Today I caught up with friends. Toni is always inspiring, just being her. And she's very enthused that I am feeling so better. Plus I spoke with Neil. Now Neil, too, is always inspiring, but in addition has that great knack for always saying the thing that I needed most to hear, but never knew it. The quote is often from Churchill, but not today. Today, I was explaining my forthcoming presentation on the English Legal System. "You've done it!" he cried. "You're finally using your degree!" I laughed very very hard. Later in the day, I had dinner with my friend Lo (not to be confused with my friend Lolo, with whom I had dinner last night) who proclaimed "you're looking skinny" - which I believe is the first time in my life that someone has said that to me. Lo now holds an even more special place in my heart.

More school tonight. I'm enjoying my class, but it is difficult to get back into it. At least for as difficult to get back into studying for my International IP class will be made up for by the ease of my topic in Comparative Legal Systems. Still, at least the work is interesting. Which makes it easier to do the homework, even when it is tougher.

The wind it howleth outside the window. And it is even a little chillier than usual in the flat. So time to bundle up good, get the kitty to sleep on my feet, and go to bed.
Love and prayers for peace,
Anne

No comments: