Sunday, March 30, 2003

In Which Our Heroine Longs to Strike a Few Blows in the Name of Peace
It is wrong to hit people. I know this. But sometimes, you just feel a need to slug certain people at certain times in the jaw. Yesterday, after an already long morning of rowing (which ws fun) and then coaching (also fun), I headed off to the library. I am operating under some serious deadlines. I had forgotten, however (if I don't write it down, I'd forget anything these days) that there was a peace demonstration on the Common which I had entirely intended on participating in. But....the deadlines. Whatever the deadlines, I could spare an hour or two of my time to lend my support to something I whole heartedly support. Some things just get prioritized. Even if I forgot them.

I headed out of Park Street station to encounter about 50 PRO war demonstrators. I couldn't even believe it. If these people are representative of why 70% of Americans support the war, or at least according to polls they do, the explanation for why we do is that we are stupid beyond belief. Holding such signs as "America, Love it or Leave it", "Neville Chamberlin Fan Club" and "Go USA", I was imediately caught off guard by someone shouting to support our troops. Well, people, you all know my answer to that. And I answered. "I support our troops. My nephew is out there on the Kitty Hawk. And I support them so much I don't believe they should be being shot at for this unjustified action." This seemed to throw him a bit. So he told me that if I didn't like America, I should leave it. I asked him if he'd been to any other countries. Without answering my question, he asked me if I had been to any other countries, and I told him that indeed I had been to 32 other countries, and if he hadn't been to any others, maybe he ought to actually try to find out what he was talking about. So then he told me I was unAmerican. I then enquired as to how exercising my Constitutionally protected first amendment rights of free speech and the right to assemble for precisely such purpose made me unAmerican. "Our guys are out there protecting your rights!" "They're not protecting my rights. The whole shebang is called "Operation Liberate Iraq." That's about liberating Iraq, not protecting my rights." By now, the guy was totally losing it. So I suggested that if he so supported this operation, that he volunteer for the armed services and get thee hence to the front lines. Discussion over, he was speechless.

And hour and a half of peaceful exercise of my Constitutionally guaranteed rights of free speech and assembly, I made my way to the computer lab. After a bit of work I overheard a conversation by the guy across from me where he was whining about how he couldn't respect the protestors because they were protesting the establishment, but wearing clothes from Banana Republic. I had to speak up to point out that they weren't protesting the establishement, they were protesting the war in Iraq. This seemed to throw him. "Well, I support our troops" he said. And we're off.......

It is dangerous to be well read and opinionated in this country. No one knows what to do with you!
Back to work!
Love,
Anne

No comments: