Saturday, March 29, 2003

In Which Our Heroine Develops a Deep Relationship with a Chair
The thing about starting from scratch to get back into shape is that a gal gets a bit stiff in the old muscles. This was without question the case when I woke up yesterday morning. Unfortunately, I was waking up in the morning to go erg a 6K with Matt. I did loosen up a bit for that, and then cycled home, but frankly I was tired. And still stiff. Never mind. There was life to get on with. I desperately needed a haircut, and luckily I was booked in with Roger at 11:30. Or so I thought. On arrival, I discovered I was actually booked in for 12:30. This turned out to be quite fortuitous. I went to Tealuxe, got some tea, brought it back, and they let me sit in the chair for 40 minutes. This may not sound so significant, except that the chair at the salon is one of those that massages your back while you sit in it. Ahhhh. Ooooooo. I was worried I would get kicked out for making obscene noises, so I tried to stay as quietly obscene as possible. By the time I stood up, all the stiffness in my back had disappeared. Ahhhhh. Ooooo. And a bitchin' new do to boot.

Then, in a fit of "If I can't interview for a job, I"m not going to look like I'm going to interview for a job" I had my nose pierced again. (I did this once before, when Testa didn't give me a job.) I like it, but it hurts more than it did last time. Still, it isn't permanent, like a tattoo. Pretty much the second I take it out it will heal over. But I like it in the meantime.

Then it was time for the kids to get back out on the water, and I have to say they did really really well. Stiff as boards from fear, but still much improved rowers. Things were fine, there was no flipping, and then we hit land, where everyone started confessing how nervous they had been. Of course, I don't think this was an unnatural reaction at all.

Still, my body isn't built to take this any more. I got up this morning to row with Jonathan, and while I haven't stiffened up I did fall asleep on the sofa this morning. So tired.

Back to bed. On the water at 7!
Love,
Anne

No comments: