Wednesday, March 26, 2003

In Which Our Heroine Goes for a Wee Swim with her Squad
Cripes, I'm pooped. An afternoon of adventure on the high seas does that to a gal. Cycled down for practice, clambered into the survival suit, waited for the kids to turn up. Except that two were striking sets for the play, and one has broken out in a bad rash and so had a doctors appointment. So three boys, and a recruited coxswain. What to do? Stick me in bow seat, that's what to do. So out of the survival suit, and into the boat. All was going well when three seat caught a crab and it turns out that his gate wasn't on tight. Up, up, up, and............ flip. Into the water, the whole lot of us. And the water was *very* cold. Remember, the ice was still fourteen inches thick on this part of the river last week. Of course, this is why we watch the safety video every year, which indeed we did last week. So everyone knew to stay with the boat. Immediate problems: stroke seat can't get his feet out of the shoes and can't kick out because he has brought his head up in the rigger, so he is twisted at an angle that stops him kicking (with a mild bit of panic) and the coxswain is so tiny she's chilling off faster than everyone else. Calm stroke down, get coxie on top of the boat (as you lose heat faster through the water than through the air) grab hold of the boat and start towing boat and kiddies to shore. In the meantime, shout to people on shore to call 911, request an ambulance and tell them we have kids at risk of hypothermia. And be sure to do it *all* very calmly, despite being pissed at being out of survival suit as this is precisely what its designed for. It worked. All kids out of the water safely, but coxie was shivering quite hard. Get her out of her wet things, and get her wrapped in blankets. The ambulance arrived quickly and we were all taken to Children's Hospital. So there I was, having to phone parents and say "Um, terribly sorry, not to worry, but could you just pick your child up at the Childrens' Hospital ER? Oh, and bring some dry clothes." Luckily, the parents took it all very very very well. The kids were recovering well, and then I realized that *I* had no dry clothes, shoes (shoes are at the boathouse) or way home. I thought about who to call. My few friends with cars were actually out of town. I tried to call Patrick. Not there, and home now way out in Natick. Lora? In Philly on business. Um? Mike. Mike was a good idea, because not only did he have a car, he doesnt live *that* far from me, and bonus of bonuses, he would have a sweatshirt and sweatpants I could borrow that might actually fit, as he is closer to my size than many of my friends. Damn. He's not in the office. Home? Not yet. Try again. Whew. Home, and willing to come in and get me. And bring sweatshirts! Mike, patent lawyer and hero to the masses. Well, hero to me, and I'm massive.

Up til this point I felt fine. Parents started coming in, and I felt fine. Then, while talking to one of them, I started to not feel very fine at all. So I lay down for a bit. Of course, this is the minute before Mike turns up. So instead of being able to hop up, change my clothes and go, I wound up having to lounge around and be sick for a bit. The kids, of course, are all "ooooooo, who's this? Coach has a personal life!" I expect questions tomorrow, to which the answer "none of your business" somehow seems to be poking a situation the wrong way. I shall have to think of the appropriate response. I do have a personal life, but Mike is not involved in the way the kids are thinking.

One of the mothers actually took photos of us. First team photo for our new slogan (coined by one of the parents) "CRLS Novice Crew: Only the Bouyant Survive."

But cutting a long story long, in the end, I was fine, the kiddies were fine, and Mike took me home in the car that comes with the bun warmer. I am now eternally indebted to Volkswagon. I have to wash my clothes (which somehow seems paradoxical since they're already soaking wet. Maybe I should just throw some soap on them.), wash the Golden Gophers sweatshirt (Mike is from Minnesota), and get some sleep!

Practice is tomorrow at 3:30!
Love,
Coach

No comments: