Saturday, March 22, 2003

In Which Our Heroine Enjoys A Film
Ah, the movies. War rages in Iraq, the peace protestors scuffle with the people supporting the war, the people outside my window are arguing about something or tuther. But I'm watching my violence just the way I like it. Big and fake. "The Quiet Man" - one of my favorite movies of all time. Any movie where John Wayne is felled not just once but twice with punches that quite obviously don't connect is the way it should be. I remember mourning last year that it wasn't shown on St. Patrick's Day, the way it usually is. And here it is.

It is the way to unwind after a fairly long day. I made up my internship day today, which always means an early start, and then had to go immediately to coach the kiddies, who continue to do well. By the time I got home, I was a bit beat. And yet, still excited for tomorrow. First full day on the water for them. The problem of course being that with the weather suddenly turning nice, every lunatic and their mother who hasn't been out on the water all winter will be out there, getting in the way. Or more accurately having us get in theirs. The kids are doing well, but that first day is quite a handful. In fact, the first few are a spectacular handful. But the kids will be all right to me, so long as I don't have to do what I had to do a few years back in a high upstream wind and wade in up to the waist to bring them to the dock. They had their first erg test yesterday, and they did well. Then, to show them how it is to be done, I did one. Only one thousand meters, but I have to say, ow ow and ow again. It would appear I am out of shape. Rather. Tomorrow's the big day!
Love,
Anne

No comments: