Thursday, March 27, 2003

In Which Our Heroine Sees Who Shows Up for Practice
It really quite amazing how just a little swim in some cold water really tires a gal out. I slept 12 hours last night, and even after that spent most of the morning lounging around on the sofa. I did go down to the boathouse early, to see if there was damage to the boat. There was, a little bit, but nothing unrepairable. So who would turn up to repair it? Or who would have been put off after yesterday's little swim? I waited on tenterhooks. Amazingly, every single kid turned up, even stroke seat, who it turns out sprained his ankle yesterday when his foot didn't come out. Boat repair was done by the kids, who are now vested in it, and who also were approached by the Filippi rep to help move a boat, for which they were all given calendars with hunky Italian rowers. Hey, its week two. They're captivated by this. They're hooked into it now. And it is all about the tchotchkes. And the water time.

Speaking of water time, I then amazed myself by hitting the water after practice for my first outing in a double this year. In the off season, I always say that I love rowing but I wonder do I really love it as much as I think I do? And then I get out there and realize that I love it a whole lot more. Which is exactly what happened tonight. I went out in the double with my friend Liz, who knew about yesterday. I used to teach youth learn to row with Liz, and in fact she has seen me wade into the river up to my waist to pull in an 8+ of kids who couldn't dock due to inexperience and wind. But she was still mighty impressed with this squad, watching them do their jumpies and their situps. And as she realized when we got in for our "day after" team photo (me still in the Golden Gopher sweatshirt as it was the only dry thing in the house!), even standing next to me, these are big kids. Go team go!

I had a big decision out on the river with Liz - what to do for the season. I have been of the mindset to re-join the CRI competitive women's team. But I wasn't quite convinced. Something was holding me back. At heart, I am a sculler. And I really love the double scull. If it works, you really form a bond with your teammate for good times and bad. In the comp squad, dealing with 35 different, strong personalities gets wearing. I really want to turn up, row, work hard at my rowing and then just not get so involved with the rest of it. Racing is fun, but only if you let it be. As Liz and I put it "racing is fun, and the boys are so fine!" which is why we want to race. And the decision was made.......no CRI, just Liz and I in the double. Its a good decision, and it fits well. You just know about things sometimes, and this is so easily the right thing for me right now. See seems psyched, and I definitely am. Roll on fitness! Now to just find some adjustable spacers for the riggers. The Knauth is rigged a bit high..........

Tired again this evening, but only for the very best reasons.
Love,
Anne

No comments: