Friday, April 11, 2003

In Which Our Heroine Has a Busy Busy Day
Well, after a week in which numerous overseas e-mails were sent regarding domains, servers, ownership, etc of this website, somehow it all came together and I'm back up and running. It is amazing how one can miss blogging. Having spent a year effectively journalling my life, it was odd to have it out for a week.

And what a week it was. My friend Liz says my life is very serendipitous. This was proved this week. Thursday, I ran into and had drinks with a friend I hadn't seen for a year and a half. Friday, dinner here as planned. Saturday, I was wiped out. So I went to sleep. I was awakened by a phone call from my friend Tel. She needed a babysitter, and NOW. I hopped the train, and immediately ran into Kit, which was odd as a) I haven't seen him in a while, and b) he doesn't take the train since he has a car and three (he revealed he got a new fixed gear he loves) bikes. Very "Sliding Doors" but good. Sunday was relatively uneventful, seeing as I spent it asleep. Some kind of mild bug or something. Monday, log on to the e-mail and bestest friend in the whole world (and I've travelled it, looking for another one) Harters sends me a quick e-mail saying "Hey, are you free for lunch on Saturday? I'm in NYC from Wednesday to Saturday night. Please come meet me." Um, sure! I would move heaven and earth for that man. It is a strange bond, but a wonderful one. I could live with him for the rest of my life quite happily, but couldn't actually date him. People tend to interject when I say this and say "Oh, so he's like a brother." but no, it is different and stronger than that. With everything I have to do this weekend, I wouldn't run to NYC for my brothers! (Or my sisters.) The next day, my cousin popped up out of the blue after a couple years of drifting out of touch. We're getting together on Tuesday.

It is very exciting to see who or what pops up next! Granted, time is passing quickly. Harters is coming back in May, and Emma will be here in June, the same week as James, Charles and Denver.

In the meantime it is all very very busy. I have had a different deadline every day this week, what with writing, classes, presentations, and things. It will be the same thing next week. I had to say to someone this week "You are my Thursday deadline. Is that ok?" They seemed shocked I was operating on such a scale.

And in the midst of all this business, there has been such foul weather. I described it to someone as the feeling you get when you go on a date with someone, and then you wait for them to call, and they don't. You never quite give up hope that they're going to, at least for a while anyway, but you get very cranky as it becomes obvious that they just aren't. And after 10 days ago and rowing four days in a week, and biking all over, and just generally soaking up spring like a sponge, having ten days to sit around and watch it snow is leaving bald patches where I'm pulling my hair out. And that's just my personal rowing/fitness. It is even worse with the kids. We haven't had much water time because the weather is so miserable, and we're not getting any. Luckily, I discovered the sliders at CBC and we've been learning our racing starts on those, and tonight we actually practiced timing all fours in the tanks at MIT. (A favor for which I was up late last night baking lemon iced cookies to stay on the good side of Ian, the one MIT rowing coach I've never met.) Tomorrow, hopefully not in the rain, we try it all by fours. Fingers stay crossed.

And then of course, there are classes. I have lucked out (in the middle of my serendipity) of exams entirely. Two credits of internship, two credits of International Intellectual Property Licensing now hanging on Monday's presentation on restrictions on reverse engineering, for which I have been corresponding with the Finnish patent board via e-mail (don't ask), a conversion which was just made on Tuesday. Until Tuesday morning, we were having an exam. And then of course my presentation, already given, for Comparative Legal Systems. We're still presenting them. In fact, today's class very nearly degenerated into an international incident. A Mexican lawyer was giving her presentation on the Mexican legal system, and a Swedish lawyer referred to Mexico as "uncivilized" and then proceeded to stick her foot in even further. Once it was well and truly degenerating, the Mexican lawyer informed the Swede that "as a lawyer, you may wish to choose your words with more care." Ouch, baby. It went downhill from there.

Well, it is now 2am and I've been up since six. I"m tired, and I need my sleep. Tomorrow is yet another very very busy day.
Love,
Anne

No comments: