Friday, April 25, 2003

Team Milhouse Today
Miles rowed today: 6. Total miles rowed: 12. Money pledged: $1030. Today's progress was a little frustrating. We're getting the rigging checked on the boat. Honestly, it wasn't so bad. Compared to other rowing programs I've had, it was about par. A long slog, and we get somewhere, but it doesn't fly. But luckily, Liz and I have the image of the 20 stroke pieces we've taken. To quote Mazda, zoom zoom zoom! It will happen. There is something about the stroke seat that isn't getting the oomph. The rowing chair at CBC is going to take a measure of it. And I am going to read my sculling books and rack my wee brain for drills that will improve us. As one of the great rules of rowing is "row the boat you've got." Also paraphrased in the mantra "suck it up, buttercup." We can do it. We are Team Milhouse!

The more I think about the Milhouse concept, the more I think it is truly fitting. I mean, we're going to row in the Head of the Charles but in the Championship event. Neither of us have rowed much in the last two years, and we're out of shape! (Well, Liz is in better shape than I am.) Ok, we're starting now, and with my great motivation we'll be fitter than something really fit by the race, but we'll be up against national and international caliber rowers. Complete "My Mom says I'm cool." territory. And the whole point of it is we'll have a blast. So much fun. And in the meantime, we'll raise as much money as we can for charity, which is almost a better point.

In the meantime, the children continue to delight me. They work so hard, and it really really is paying off. For all of them. There are one or two who seem to be a little apprehensive that they aren't progressing the way they should, or at the pace that others are. But the point is that they are progressing, and continuing to progress. I'm thrilled with them all. TOmorrow, I'm hoping we'll get to race BB&N in the afternoon. More of a friendly than anything else if we can arrange it. I hope we can win. But in the meantime, between the practices we're staying in the boathouse, watching movies, and having some pizza. A little party for the squad.

Off to the tub. The lats need a soak.
Love,
Anne of the stroke seat

No comments: