Tuesday, February 04, 2003

What Defines Gainful Employment?
The news of the day is that I am so busy, I really don't have the time to write the news of the day! But all of it is for minimum wages. At least I justify my unemployment. When they say "in the week ending ___, did you look for work?" my answer is always an emphatic yes. Or at least it is as emphatic as one can make pushing button number one on a telephone. And it is slooooowly paying off. As I said before, I am helping with the new edition of a book on e-commerce. Gainful, good connection, excellent work, but no pay. And I am doing my internship. Gaining of excellent knowledge, good connections, great work, and free food. But not only no pay, but I have to pay tution for it. Some legal work for a friend, but at a low rate, and he did let me borrow his car the other week, so I'm not charging him for the rather minimal amount of work I'm doing for him this week. Again, interesting, and a good connection, and when I really needed it in a pinch he was kind enough to lend the car most generously, so no pay.

I did accept paid employment yesterday, but it a) doesn't pay much, and b) doesn't start until March. I am the new novice boys rowing coach at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School. I'm suprised how excited I am by this job. I do enjoy coaching, and I have done some coaching of racing crews before but it was for a short time period, and it was girls, not boys. This is for their whole spring season, start to finish. My understanding of the term novice means that these boys will not have rowed before, so it is starting from square one. Should be an interesting and fun challenge.

Then of course there will be the looks on these boys faces when they discover their coach is a girl. And the subsequent looks when they discover that I am that girl. Should all be very interesting.

After an acupuncture session last night I am gunned and ready to go. So I ought to go do it.
Love,
Anne

No comments: