Wednesday, February 19, 2003

In Which Our Heroine Has a Snow Day
For those amongst you without access to the news, we had two and a half feet of snow here in Boston in the last 24 hours. This seems to have enabled me to have the best of adulthood mixed in with the best of childhood all at the same time. How can this be, you ask? Ah, I shall wax happily on this topic for you. What else is a blog for?

I love the snow. For a gal who can't ski (and should not be allowed to strap herself to a couple strips of fiberglass and point herself down a mountain), I love the snow. I like to throw snowballs, at which I am crap since I throw like a girl. I like to to build snowmen. I like to cross country ski. I like to walk in the snow. When I was a schoolgirl, my favorite thing was to saddle up my horse while it was snowing and ride out across the cornfields. Being out when it actually snows is to me a wild thing, since it makes no sound. All that pelting snow, and yet no sound. There is just this great, white muffling quiet, and you can just get around and play in it. I actually went and made a snow angel. A very large one, at that. And then I was faced with that classic problem - how do you get out of a snow angel without messing it up?

Suitably played out, I came home and actually spent most of the day finally painting. To heck with the spackle, it was time to paint. It is just amazing what one coat of white paint (snowdrift! Honest, it was the name of my paint!), one thin coat at that, can do to a room. The room was sort of a dirty tea colour. The change is not *that* profound, for example when compared with painting the living room blue, or the overhaul of the loo, but it will be when I finish painting the mural on the wall. I went so bananas, I painted half the hallway.

This is while it was snowing. And then it stopped, sometime while I was sleeping. First thing, I had to head to Kinko's, which is a long story, but I was glad to do it. Two and a half feet of snow? Got to get to Coolidge Corner? Not a problem for me. I live near three lines of the T, which never stopped running, and it goes right to Coolidge Corner. I don't have to shovel the walk - I live in a professionally managed building. I don't have to dig out the car, since I don't have a car. I don't have to drive either, for the same reason. And I have big high Barbour wellington boots which were high enough to keep out the snow. I did discover though that the wellies are a little interesting in the snow since the soles are completely flexible. It was like walking in the snow barefoot, from a traction standpoint. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

To top it all off, I had a snow day. I don't usually have school on Tuesdays, but we were on a Monday schedule due to yesterday's holiday. Homework done, check. And then a snowday! It is just like being 7 again and having my ear pressed eagerly to WZZO to find out if Saucon Valley School District was closed. Except now I found it on the internet and that was the day beforehand. The joy of a snowday! These things don't happen often. Then again, Saucon Valley School District didn't cost me this much!

This joy kept threatening to turn into a schadenfreude all day as I watched people try and extract out their cars. That didn't seem right somehow, so I just went out and played some more. I think I tracked in as much snow as humanly possible.

Snow, ah snow.
Love,
Anne

No comments: