Friday, February 14, 2003

In Which Our Heroine Discovers the Wonder of Being a Duck
My friend Liz works for a non-profit in town. They're called Historic Something or Other. It's important, but I'll remember it later. Anyway, her non-profit does all kinds of educational things in town, mostly with architecture. But one of their biggest fundraisers is the annual Mother's Day "Make Way for Ducklings" parade. Children dress up as their favorite character from the book, which is usually a duckling, but can also be the policeman, or even the boy on the tricycle. I have seen pictures, but never seen the actual parade. But through my connection with Liz (who is still looking for others, btw) and a handy "first come, first served" plus "priority to friends" policy, I am now the official photographer. This should be lots of fun. I will also help out in the beginning, handing out stuffed ducklings to kids who have tickets. (Anyone can be in the parade. But it is a fundraiser, so kids who buy tickets get perks. Entertainment after the parade, ducklings for participating in the parade.) I am very excited about this, even though it is not til May. Quack, quack, quack.



There is also the opportunity to lead the "Make Way for Ducklings" tours in May, if I"m still not working. It would be fun, and it would pay for my meals that day. If nothing else, Liz will give me the material for it, so that I can give the tour to Michaela when she's here. I gave her that book when her daughter was born, and now the daughter is hooked on it. Photos must be taken.

In trying to strike one thing off my "to do" list, I gave my presentation today. This was on schedule, but now is off schedule as I due to overrunning time by others last week, I could only get through about half my presentation this week. It is a little annoying, but also gives me the time to insert other material to only strengthen it all. But still, I was looking forward to striking it off the list. Bleh.

The cold is striking again. No more snow for a bit, just bitter cold. Off to bundle.
Love,
Anne

No comments: